THE BILLINGSGATE STORY

Billingsgate is best known for the fish market that operated in the Ward for over a thousand years and trading began there when the first fortified water gate was erected by Belinius who was king in 390 BC. It was originally known as Blynesgate and Byllynsgate and eventually Billingsgate. The Ward Club derives its badge from this, the Belini Porta. A major excavation in 1982 revealed evidence of waterfront buildings and wharves in the area dating back to Roman times.

By the late 16th century, most merchant vessels had become too large to pass under London Bridge, and so Billingsgate, with its deeply recessed harbour, replaced Queenhithe as the most important landing place in the city. Billingsgate Wharf serviced a general market for coal, iron, wine, salt, pottery, fish and miscellaneous goods until the 16th century, when neighbouring streets became a specialist fish market.

The Billingsgate Market ice store
The Billingsgate Market ice store

The Fish Market was formally established by an act of Parliament in 1699, and in 1849 the fishmongers were moved off the streets into their own riverside building. This was replaced in 1873 by an arcaded-market hall designed by City architect Horace Jones, the hall we see today. When Billingsgate Fish Market was relocated in 1982 to its present location close to Canary Wharf, the original riverside market building was refurbished by the architect Richard Rogers to provide one of London's premier events venues.

An unhandled error has occurred. Reload 🗙

Rejoining the server...

Rejoin failed... trying again in seconds.

Failed to rejoin.
Please retry or reload the page.

The session has been paused by the server.

Failed to resume the session.
Please retry or reload the page.